Aberford School Council
Helping young people to become active, democratic citizens.
What is a School Council?
A school council is a formal group of pupils within a school who are elected by their peers to represent them and their views.
Why do we have a School Council?
Article 12 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) says that children and young people should have a say in decisions that affect their lives. A school council can provide a meaningful way in which pupils can voice their opinions and have their views taken into account in decisions which impact upon them.
- Attend regular meetings with other School Council members from each class
- Take ideas and suggestions your class have to discuss at School Council meetings
- Bring back ideas, information and suggestions to your class and encourage your class to listen, discuss, share their views and, where necessary, vote on actions that need to be taken
- Help to organise charity events throughout the year
- Encourage the pupils in your class to be aware of their school environment and to respect and care for it
- Some of the more senior School Council members will be responsible for specific tasks
- School Council Chairperson (leads the meetings)
- School Council Secretary (writes the minutes of the meetings)
- School Council Treasurer (manages the money – with link teacher)
Qualities of a School Council Member:
As individuals, children may bring lots of additional skills and abilities to this role in particular, however, to be a successful School Council member you need to:
- Be reliable
- Be proud of our school and want our school to be the best it can be
- Listen carefully to the views of others and take their ideas on board
- Represent the majority view of your class, even if you don't agree!
- Commit time to this role and accept that you may need to do things during break times and/or lunchtimes
- Be enthusiastic
- Be kind and respectful
- Be patient
School Council 2020/2021
Meet our School Council for the new school year.
School Council 2019/2020
Before COVID ruined our plans, we..
- Helped during the interview process for our new Headteacher
School Council 2018/2019
- Organised a 'Wear jeans day' and raised £100 for Genes for Jeans Day
- Organised our Aberford Talent Show
- Wrote to our local MP to arrange a Parliament Box to be delivered.
School Council 2017/2018
- Held a bun sale and raised £74 for The Alzheimer's Society
- Raised money to purchase and rejuvenate the Friendship Bench
- Raised money to buy an outdoor clock